In general the steps to completing a JH-SA are:
1. Identify all tasks associated with the closure and removal of the UST and piping.
2. Breakdown each task into the key steps needed to complete the task.
3. Identify the hazards (e.g. chemical exposure, fire, etc.) that can occur during completion of each step in a task.
4. Identify the potential accidents (e.g. crushing from cave- in, asphyxiation from vapors, electrocution, etc.) that can occur during the completion of each step in a task.
5. Develop a recommended safe practice to prevent occurrence of potential illnesses and injuries that may result from exposure or accidents.
6. Determine what PPE, tools and equipment will be required for each safe practice.